A good quality, properly-fitted bra is an investment in both time and money so of course we want to get the most out of their lifespan and keep them in looking and fitting fabulously. How to do that? Below are some tips to get the longest lifespan out of your bra while keeping it looking new.
- For longer life, rotate your bras daily. This will allow the elastic to rest for 24 hours while retaining its stretch memory.
- After three or four wears wash your bras by hand if possible with a gentle soap and cool water. You can also throw them in the washer on gentle cycle in a laundry bag if you’re short on time. Be sure to use cool water whether you’re washing by hand or in the machine as the cool water ‘shocks’ the Lycra, giving it back some elasticity.
- Sports bras are best to wash after each use, but if you can’t wash it right away, be sure to rinse your sports bra in cool water to get rid of the perspiration so the fabric doesn’t get damaged, particularly the ‘moisture-wicking’ properties that sports bras contain.
- Ever had your beautiful expense lace bra come out of the wash with holes in the lace or the underwire twisted on your favorite Tee-shirt bra? This expensive mishap can be prevented by clasping your bra hooks before washing in a machine. This will help prevent the straps from twisting, hooks from catching, and the underwire from getting all misshapen. The use of a laundry bag also prevents twisting and snagging.
- Avoid putting heavy fabrics like jeans and towels in the same load as your lingerie. Try to keep the loads light and with similar fabrics.
- Never put your bra in the dryer. Instead lay it flat on a towel, cups facing up, or hang it by a strap. If your molded cup got a bit misshapen or dented in the wash, gently smooth it out with your fingers to its usual shape before leaving it to dry.
What detergent should you use? Any gentle fabric care wash is a good choice. Definitely avoid bleach or harsh detergents. At Close to You we strongly recommend the Forever New fabric care wash (available in store). Forever New gently launders fibers, preserving their fit and shape without breaking them down so your delicate fabrics look and feel new longer. It is the perfect choice for your lingerie, hosiery, swimwear, linens, silk, wool, cottons, etc. It contains a a natural water softener, water conditioner, plant-derived cleansers and baking soda, and never has parabens, phthalates, SLES or dyes, so you can rest assured it is safe both for you and the environment.
How many bras should you have? The more the merrier of course (!), but in a practical sense for your basic bras you should have three – one to wear, one in the wash, and one in your drawer. However, according to the Huffington Post, the average woman has nine! Is it time go bra shopping?! 🙂
Hope this list of tips is helpful in keeping your lingerie beautiful for as long as possible. And remember where to find us when it’s time to for a new one! We have certified fitters, sizes up to H (and larger if needed), and the brands and styles you love. Give us a call or stop by if you have any questions or need help finding the perfect bra for you. We look forward to seeing you.